2011-09-19 - to Ft. Edward, NY

We woke up this morning in a blanket of fog. It was so dense that you couldn’t make anything out beyond the safety rails. Through the fog, we enjoyed again the phenomenon of the ‘echo’ (well Connor did) and, as the fog lifted, we headed on our way...a little late (8:30am). It was another scenic day through the beginning of the Champlain canal. There are rock faces that come straight into the water and bursting with trees. We even saw a deer having a drink at the waters edge. We came upon lock 12 (the very beginning of the canal system at 11:30am). We docked at the lock wall and made our way to the lock masters house. For these locks, it is only $15 for 2 days of lockage (11 locks). This is quite different to the other lock fees. ($25/lock on the St. Lawrence, $36 for one lock on the Richelieu River, $60 for ~8 locks on the Chambly Canal). We did half of the locks today and expect to be finished with the Champlain canal tomorrow evening a Troy! It is such a straight run, you can't go wrong (see pic with gps in the foreground)

The big treat tonight was stopping on the free dock at Ft. Edward. Here they have power and water and a nice wall to tie up for the night. Power means heat for us! It has been so chilly at anchor. When we wake up the boat is about 10’C. We are all fine in our beds, but it is the getting up that is the hardest. We do have the Honda Generator that we start up in the morning. This gives us enough power for the heater and to make breakie. We stopped here at Ft. Edward really to do laundry. It has been several days, and it was getting to the point that we had to! So, I loaded up the bike trailer and headed in the direction that one of the locals guided me to. ‘Just around the corner and up the hill’, they said…’not too far’. Well, here I go with, probably, 100lbs of laundry. I head to the corner and round it and, ‘what do I see in front of me’, was a mountainous slope. (Probably a slight exaggeration again...but, any steeper and I would need a climbing harness and a hoist!) So, fit me (cough, sputter) make my way up the ‘little hill’ and eventually (and much redder in the face) find the coin op. So, I haul my mountainous sac into the facility and scope out the correct machines to use. I saw one that was 3 loads worth…perfect. I manage to stuff what I could in that and got it going. The next one, I loaded, what felt like, 100 quarters into again – loaded up the laundry – and closed the door. The price display changed back to the default setting of $3,50. Oh darn…I paid, loaded and pressed the ‘on’ button. Not, loaded, paid and pressed the ‘on’ button. Someone saw me pressing buttons and came over to tell me that I can call the ‘assistance number’ posted. I looked at it – paused - and they looked at me and said, “do you not have a cell phone”? They looked at me with such pity and said, ‘Here, borrow mine” I could see it in their eyes that they must thought – what poor person…she doesn’t have a cell phone! So, I called – sorted it out and all was well…well, except for my dignity. So, it was all going well….when, I noticed that the super 3-loader was just spinning and spinning….without finishing up (by this time, I was already folding the other dry stuff). I asked a man, who happened to be there, if those machines took longer to complete. He said they didn’t and, again, directed me to the laundry help line posted on the wall. I paused for a moment and he said, “..do you not have a cell phone?” with that same look of pity….I got to use his! The problem was fixed over the phone. I finally finished my loads and loaded up the bike trailer again. Downhill was a breeze! I woohoo’ed all of the way back, tucked the kids into bed….and, called it a night!

No comments:

Post a Comment